What better way to pull a young child into the thrills of reading than a great picture book? I have put together a list of our favorite new and classic picture books for kindergartners. Believe me, it was difficult to limit the list to 50! Here are 50 Must-Have Books for the Kindergarten Classroom
What are your students’ favorite books? What book is constantly being poured over by a little one falling in love with reading? Make sure to comment at the bottom of the post with your must-have picture books for kindergartners.
The picture books featured in the “New” list have been published in the last 3 years. Many of the books were published in 2017 and 9 of the books made the latest New York Times Best Seller List.
The “Tried and True” picture books for kindergartners feature timeless classics that the littlest readers have enjoyed year after year. This list was difficult to narrow down. I’m sure you’ll see some of your favorites on the list. If your very favorite didn’t make the list, tell us what it is in the comments below!
Need help getting books to fill your classroom library? Check out this post on 10 Ways to Build a Classroom Library on a Budget! You’ll find great ideas on ways to get discounted or even free books for your classroom!
New Books For Your Kindergarten Classroom
You’ll love this list of fun, new books for your classroom! Keep your little readers engaged with the latest and most popular picture books available.
20. Be Quiet! by Ryan T. Higgins
19.Hotel Bruce by Ryan T. Higgins
18. Olivia the Spy by Ian Falconer
17. Places to Be by Mac Barnett
16. The Quiet Book by Deborah Underwood
15. Ball by Mary Sullivan
14. Go! Go! Go! Stop! by Charise Mericle Harper
13. She Persisted by Chelsea Clinton
12. The Wonderful Things You Will Be by Emily Winfield Martin
11. The Day The Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalk
10. Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin
9. Dragons Love Tacos 2 The Sequel by Adam Rubin
8. Mighty, Mighty Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker
7. Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
6. I Wish You More by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
5. Pete the Cat and the Surprise Teacher by James Dean
4. Ada Twist, Scientist by Andrea Beaty
3. Rosie Revere, Engineer by Andrea Beaty
2. What Do You Do With An Idea? by Kobi Yamada
- The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires
Tried and True Books For the Kindergarten Classroom Library
A kindergarten classroom library wouldn’t be complete without these classic titles. Your kiddos will love the familiar texts that have made their way into the hearts of young and old readers alike.
30. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
29. If You Give A Mouse A Cookie by Laura Numeroff
28. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
27. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
26. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
25. Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann
24. The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
23. Corduroy by Don Freeman
22. The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
21. Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
20. Alexander and the terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
19. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett
18. Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Suess
17. The Cat In The Hat by Dr. Suess
16. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Suess
15. Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. Eastman
14. The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper
13. Curious George by H.A. Rey
12. The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown
11. Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola
10. Frog and Toad are Friends by Arnold Lobel
9. Little Bear by Else Homelund Minarik
8. Danny and the Dinosaur by Syd Hoff
7. A Splendid Friend, Indeed by Suzanne Bloom
5. Oh, the Thinks You Can Think! by Dr. Suess
4. Stone Soup by Ann McGovern
3. Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman
2. The Little Red Hen by Diane Muldrow
- The Little Red Caboose by Marian Potter
I’m sure I’ve missed one of your favorites! Make sure to comment below with your must-have picture books for kindergartners.
Are you inspired with new titles to add to your library? Check out this post on 10 Ways to Build a Classroom Library on a Budget! You don’t have to spend your vacation fund on books for your library! Lots of people are looking for a teacher just like you to help.
Simply Kinder is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Latest posts by Lindsay (see all)
- 50 Must-Have Books for the Kindergarten Classroom: 20 New + 30 Tried and True - July 11, 2017
- 10 Ways To Build A Classroom Library On A Budget - June 7, 2017
- 6 Tips for Pumping Breast Milk at School - May 13, 2017