This activity works well with these resources:
Turkey Number Dough Center$4.00
Turkey Sight Word Center$3.00
Color ActivitiesProduct on sale
Thankful Turkey Color Matching Activity
Today we are doing this Color Matching Turkey Activity to teach gratitude and simple color matching. My kindergartener knows what it means to be thankful, but expressing gratitude about everyday things is new to him. This craft really got him thinking about all the things for which he is thankful!
- Brown Construction Paper
- Orange Construction Paper
- Colored Craft Sticks
- Paint Sticks or Crayons
- Black Marker (optional)
Making a Thankful Turkey
- Draw a circle on the brown paper and cut the circle out or have a child cut the circle out making a body for the turkey. Cut a small triangle from the orange construction paper for the turkey’s beak.
- Using paint sticks or crayons, add a dot of color for each craft stick you’re using on the brown circle. Space the dots about 1 1/2″ apart to make room for the craft sticks.
- Glue the beak onto the plain side of the brown circle (not the side with the colors) and add two eyes with a black marker or crayon.
- Turn the turkey’s body over to show the different colors of dots that match the craft sticks. We used green, orange, red, blue and yellow. Glue the base of each craft stick to match the color of the turkey’s body. Some kids might not glue the sticks far enough down on the paper so you may need to remind them of this so the turkey is more stable.
- Let the glue dry and turn the turkey over. You could stop here making this just a simple color matching activity, or you can use this time to ask what the child is thankful for and write each think on the turkey’s tail-feather craft sticks!