It is not Thanksgiving in kindergarten without a cute little handprint turkey poem. And so here is a Free Turkey Handprint Poem Printable and some tips and tricks from someone how has done it for many years in kindergarten.
- Print on card stock.
- Have your students write their names on it first. This will help you to know who’s hand is who’s.
- Have paint on a plate and each color a different paint brush.
- Have lots of paper towels handy – wet and dry.
- Paint the hand one time, then glop it on again quickly right before you put it on the paper.
- Have the kids not extend their thumb too far, this will help the turkey to stay in the right space on the paper.
- When they are done, they will walk with their HAND UP as to not touch anyone or anything.
- Have two students at your table at a time so one can watch while the other does it. This models for them what they will need to do.
- Don’t push the hand too hard because the fingers may move on the paper.
- Let the kids draw on the legs, beak, eye, and wattle. We use marker and it only takes about an hour or so for the paint to dry.
It really does not take a lot of work to make these fun little keepsakes with your students. The kids will love the experience, and the parents will adore the little gift.
KEEP READING FOR YOUR FREEBIE.
And if you are teaching about Thanksgiving, our Interactive Thanksgiving Book is a must. It walks you through all the important points of the holiday and cultural traditions and each page has a fun activity to match. Also has a cute craft cover (or easy color option too if you are not into crafts). Click here for more information.
And if you are looking for more literacy and math activities, we have you covered too with these no-prep printables with a turkey theme. Counting, addition, blending, writing, and so much more! Click here to see everything included.
So many fun fall activities. Kids will love our Fall Leaves Snap Block Centers. Use snap cubes to create the alphabet with these fun cards. Perfect for morning work, morning tubs, or center work. Click here to check it out now.
Click here to download your free Handprint Turkey printable
Latest posts by Jennifer @ Simply Kinder (see all)
- Brain Breaks Old School & Kindergarten Style! - October 27, 2019
- Teaching Story Elements: Free Literacy Posters - September 30, 2019
- 21 CREATIVE RESOURCES TO HELP YOU PLAN A COMMUNITY HELPERS UNIT - August 22, 2019