It is not Thanksgiving in kindergarten without a cute little handprint turkey poem. Keep reading for some tips and tricks from someone who has done it for many years in kindergarten. Or if you’re a Simply Kinder + member, download the freebie instantly here!
This resource works well with these Simply Kinder resources
To make this project:
- Print the printable on card stock (download below).
- Have your students write their names on it first. This will help you to know who’s hand is who’s.
- Have paint on a plate and each color a different paint brush.
- Have lots of paper towels handy – wet and dry.
- Paint the hand one time, then glop it on again quickly right before you put it on the paper.
- Have the kids not extend their thumb too far, this will help the turkey to stay in the right space on the paper.
- When they are done, they will walk with their HAND UP as to not touch anyone or anything.
- Have two students at your table at a time so one can watch while the other does it. This models for them what they will need to do.
- Don’t push the hand too hard because the fingers may move on the paper.
- Let the kids draw on the legs, beak, eye, and wattle. We use a marker and it only takes about an hour or so for the paint to dry.
It really does not take a lot of work to make these fun little keepsakes with your students. The kids will love the experience, and the parents will adore the little gift.
KEEP READING FOR YOUR FREEBIE.
And if you are looking for more literacy and math activities, we have you covered too with these no-prep printables with a turkey theme. Counting, addition, blending, writing, and so much more! Click here to see everything included.
So many fun fall activities. Kids will love our Fall Leaves Snap Block Centers. Use snap cubes to create the alphabet with these fun cards. Perfect for morning work, morning tubs, or center work. Click here to check it out now.
You can grab your freebie instantly as a FREE member of Simply Kinder + here!