Our fun Chicka Chicka Boom Boom activities include a fun cover and find game that practices letter identification and beginning sounds. Easy to prep and 100% free. Perfect for Kindergarten literacy centers or homeschoolers!
This Activity Works Well With
Kinders love the book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
You can’t go wrong with this lively read. It is a fun way to learn the alphabet. Students pick up the rhymes very quickly and will love to join in.
“Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Will there be enough room?”
In a bouncing lyrical rhyme, the letters of the alphabet are in a race to the top of the coconut tree. All the letters start to climb up. I love that it is in alphabetical order. Finally, X, Y and Z start their climb to the top. The poor coconut tree bends over from the weight and all the letters tumble in a colorful heap.
Not to worry though. The Mama’s and papas, aunts and uncles come to the rescue. The letters are untangled, again. And we go once more through the alphabet as they do. The story ends in a delightful way. The letter A dare double dares all the others to race him up to the top of the coconut tree. And this of course is a wonderful invitation to read the story again.
This book is on our teacher recommended list of books that rhyme
We thought it would be fun to create a learning activity to go with the book
Free Printable Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Activity
So, we’ve created some find and cover alphabet mat to use alongside this wonderful book. These provide a fun way for children to practice letter recognition and beginning sounds.
This is perfect if you are building a theme around Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. However, they can be used at anytime.
The game consists of a coconut tree find and cover sheet and alphabet picture cards. We have created a color version that looks awesome. However, there is also a black and white game for those of you that do not have a color printer.
- The Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Find and Cover File (see below)
- Buttons or another small manipulatives
- Binder rings to help coral the picture cards (optional)
- Write and wipe pockets optional
Preparing The Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Activity
This Chicka Chicka Boom Boom activity has minimal prep. Just download, print, cut out, and play!
- Print the mats onto cardstock and slide them into write and wipe pockets. You could also laminate them if you prefer.
- Print the picture cards onto cardstock, laminate, and cut them out.
- Punch a hole in the corner of each card and slide them onto a binder ring if using.
You are now ready to play!
Playing the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Find and Cover
- Students start by looking at the first picture card on their ring. Invite them to look at the picture, say the word out loud and identify the beginning sound.
- They will then look for the corresponding letter on the mat and cover it with a button.
The find and cover mat can also be used for simple letter recognition activities. Provide your choice of alphabet manipulatives.
Place the letters in a container. Invite students to pick out a letter, find the match on the mat and cover it with a button.
More Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Activities
Questions For Circle Time
As you are reading
- Do you think there will be enough room for all these letters? Why or why not?
- What do you think is going to happen when more letters climb up the tree?
- Do you think all the letters are going to climb up the tree again?
After the Story
- Which part of the story did you like best?
- What is it like to climb up a tree?
- Why do you think the letters fell down?
- What is it like to fall down?
- Who helps you when you fall over? What do they do to help you feel better?
- Who helped the letters when they fell down?
- What do you think it was like for the tree?
- How would the tree tell the story?
After the story you could try these songs
- This one is the musical version of the story
- This one doesn’t have anything to do with the story, but it does use the words “Boom Chicka Boom” and is plain fun!