Every year, we take a field trip to the pumpkin patch. It is one of our favorite trips, because we get to see how pumpkins grow and pick our own from the patch. Before taking our trip, we learn all about pumpkins and spend time Exploring the Parts of a Pumpkin.
Exploring Parts of a Pumpkin:
Next, we cut open a pumpkin and make observations about what we see. We talk about the different parts and draw pictures in our science journals. You can also attach the Parts of a Pumpkin Labels to toothpicks and have your students identify and label each part.
After making our observations, we scoop out the inside of the pumpkin and place the strands and seeds in a sensory bin or table for further exploration. The students can use pinches to pull out the seeds, a magnify glass to get a closer look, and their hands to feel all of the textures of the different parts.
Parts of a Pumpkin Craft:
Then, we use our creativity to make a Parts of a Pumpkin Craft. It’s a fun way for children to show what they have learned about what is inside of a pumpkin.
- Orange Paper
- Yellow Paper
- Green Paper
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Yellow Yarn
- Parts of a Pumpkin Labels
- Cut a large oval out of the orange paper for the outside layer of the pumpkin. I draw the pumpkin, copy it onto the orange paper, and then have my students cut it out.
- Cut a smaller oval out of the yellow paper for the inside layer of the pumpkin. Just like with the orange paper, I draw the pumpkin, copy it onto the yellow paper, and then have my students cut it out.
- Glue the yellow oval onto the orange oval.
- Cut a small rectangle out of the green paper for the stem.
- Glue it onto the orange oval.
- Glue the pumpkin seeds onto the yellow oval.
- Cut the yellow yarn into small pieces that are about 1 – 1 ½ inches long.
- Glue the yarn onto the yellow oval.
- Cut the parts of the pumpkin labels apart.
- Glue the labels on for all of the parts.
Exploring the Parts of a Pumpkin is a hands-on way for children to learn all about pumpkins and a fun Fall activity to do before a field trip to the pumpkin patch.