Grab this editable winter sight word game and use it in your classroom for independent learning that is fun and hands on! You can choose up to 24 sight words and the kids can play 2 different ways! Ideal for literacy center or word work in kindergarten or first grade.
Need a hands on activity to help your students with sight words? This editable game is the perfect way to sneak in some sight word practice in a fun way. Kids love games, so you’ll have no problems encouraging them to do this activity.
This sight word game is designed for independent play for one or two players, so it is perfect for a word center. There is space for 24 words and is fully editable, so that you can target specific words. We’ve chosen a winter theme, so you can use it right through Christmas and beyond.
This resource works well with these Simply Kinder resources:
The best part is that you only have to type in the words once and they automatically fill in on the other pages. How cool is that? We have provided a list of sight words for you, but you can replace those with any words you wish to use.
In the file you will find a color sight word game board/ playing pieces. There is also a black and white version if color printing is not available to you. Each game comes with two kinds of recording sheets. This ensures that your students practice writing the words as well as reading them.
- Free sight word game pdf (below)
- Card stock
- Copy paper
- Medium bulldog clips (or substitute your own game pieces)
GETTING THE GAME READY
- Download the free file (below).
- Use the words we provided or replace them with any you want the children to practice.
- Scroll down to the game boards to check that all the words fit into the squares.
- Print the game boards and playing pieces onto card stock and laminate for durability.
- Print the recording sheets onto paper.
- Cut out the game pieces and attach bulldog clips.
PLAYING THE WINTER SIGHT WORD GAME
There are 2 ways to play the game.
- Individual students roll a dice and move their game piece. They read the word they land on, cross it off in the list of sight words and write it on the recording sheet. Then they roll again until they reach the finish line.
- Pair students up and invite them to take turns rolling the dice and recording the words they land on.
To extend the activity, we’ve provided a bonus writing sheet. Students choose one of the sight words they recorded and use it in a sentence. They write their sentence and draw a picture.
GRAB YOUR COPY
Ready to play? Click the link below to grab your free game and bonus sheet
MORE SIGHT WORD ACTIVITIES
Sight Word Activities for Kinder Classroom