Are you gearing up to meet your new students and their families? Meet the Teacher is an anticipated night for all and the perfect opportunity for your students to get a feel for their new classroom and teacher. We’ve created some meet the teacher tips and included new Simply Kinder resources that are sure to make your event a success! Make sure to grab the FREE Science of Reading Family Letter & other freebies to share with families too!
Check out these related articles:
- 10 Ways to Prepare for a New School Year
- Forky in Kindergarten
- Kindergarten Readiness Checklist and Activities
- Science of Reading Family Letter
This activity goes well with these Simply Kinder resources:
Collecting Information at Meet the Teacher
1. Have a sign-in sheet for parents so you can easily keep track of which students have come to meet the teacher.
2. Give each family a checklist for meet the teacher. A checklist helps parents and students know what you want them to accomplish while in the classroom and gives you the freedom to greet families as they enter the classroom.
3. Collecting information about transportation and communication is an important part of meet the teacher. You will need this information before the first day of school. Be sure to have pens at desks or tables so parents can complete forms. Have baskets by the classroom door so parents can drop the forms off before they leave.
Information to Send Home
4. Pass out our new Simply Kinder Back to School flipbook to parents. This flipbook is editable and easy to assemble. Your flipbook covers all of the important information parents need to know about the classroom in one easy place. You can attach a magnet to the back of the flipbook so parents can hang it on their fridge. You can grab your flipbook in our Back to School Activity bundle HERE at Simply Kinder.
5. Prepare a small treat or prize for your new students to take home. This is an easy way to break the ice with those that may feel a little anxious about a new classroom and helps you make a quick connection.
6. Pass out your wish list. You can give parents a hard copy of your list or pass out a QR code for your digital wish list.
7. Choose some of our Parent Handouts to give to parents at meet the teacher. These handouts cover many topics and parents will thank you! These handouts are not only great at meet the teacher, but throughout the school year. Some topics covered in our Parent Handouts:
- What is the Science of Reading?
- Shoe Tying Made Easy
- Scissor Skills
- Phonemic Awareness
- Support Reading at Home
Grab your copy of our Parent Handouts HERE at Simply Kinder.
Take the Photo
8. All families want to document the start of their child’s new school year with a photo. What better way to get a photo than with our customizable, chalkboard bulletin board set? This display is easy to assemble and provides the perfect backdrop for a back to school photo. Learn more about setting this up on the article here and then grab your Chalkboard Bulletin Board set HERE at Simply Kinder.
Grab your copy of all of these great resources HERE at Simply Kinder and have a great meet the teacher!
You can also add cute props from the Dollar Tree or Target Dollars Spot for students to hold up!
Grab a set of these FREE printables to help get you started on planning Meet the Teacher & Back to School inside the Simply Kinder + FREE plan here!